What is involved in Release and deployment management
Find out what the related areas are that Release and deployment management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Release and deployment management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Release and deployment management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Release and deployment management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Release and deployment management related domains to cover and 169 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Release and deployment management, Release management, Agile software development, Application release automation, Build automation, Change management, Configuration management, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Continuous testing, DevOps, DevOps toolchain, Enterprise release management, IT portfolio management, Software, Software development process, Software engineering, Software release, Software testing, Test plan, Web application, WinOps:
Release and deployment management Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Release and deployment management tasks and find out what it really means.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Release and deployment management project?
– What threat is Release and deployment management addressing?
Release management Critical Criteria:
Map Release management projects and display thorough understanding of the Release management process.
– What is, really, the difference between development and innovation, i.e. how big or radical do changes have to be to warrant the label innovation ?
– Process support: how can a project better institutionalize workflow support without adding a bureaucratic burden to the developers?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Release and deployment management products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– In some projects up to 85% of the changes are performed by a small core of developers, what space for innovation is left?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– Does it Eliminate lengthy email threads trying to achieve change approval?
– Is Supporting Release and deployment management documentation required?
– Where do requirements come from (and what should we do about it)?
– When should sunk cost be abandoned and new solutions sought ?
– Do you have existing automation or deployment tools?
– What are the development, release, and deployment activities?
– Why has no os tool emerged to meet this need?
– When is a release management plan used?
– what is NEXT FOR RELEASE MANAGEMENT AND DEVOPS?
– Can you Reduce your release window by 90%?
– What is release management?
– How are changes managed?
– All tasks complete?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Define Agile software development goals and plan concise Agile software development education.
– Could Agile Manifesto and agile methods be a good starting point for the corporate venture to start their development effort towards their own, efficient agile in-house software development method?
– How do you take an approach like CMM that is heavily about management control and measurement and make it light on its feet?
– How do agile methods support the principles of Agile Manifesto when using in-house software development methods?
– What are our metrics to use to measure the performance of a team using agile software development methodology?
– Can agile methods be used effectively for evolving a system in response to customer change requests?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– What kind of enabling and limiting factors can be found for the use of agile methods?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What technologies are available to support system development?
– Regulated Backward Compatibility and Version Numbering?
– From Waterfall to Agile How does a QA Team Transition?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– If you used Agile in the past, but do not now, why?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– How do Web Operators communicate with Developers?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– What is Scale and Why Manage It?
– What makes agile better?
Application release automation Critical Criteria:
Analyze Application release automation projects and correct better engagement with Application release automation results.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Release and deployment management into the services that we provide?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Release and deployment management activities?
– What are the long-term Release and deployment management goals?
Build automation Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Build automation results and acquire concise Build automation education.
– Does Release and deployment management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– What is Effective Release and deployment management?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Change management goals and correct better engagement with Change management results.
– Workforce Change Management How do you prepare your workforce for changing capability and capacity needs? How do you manage your workforce, its needs, and your needs to ensure continuity, prevent workforce reductions, and minimize the impact of workforce reductions, if they do become necessary? How do you prepare for and manage periods of workforce growth?
– The objective of Change Management is to ensure that standard methods and procedures are used, such that changes can be dealt with quickly, with the lowest possible impact on service quality. all changes should be traceable, in other words, one can answer the question, what changed? Do we do this?
– In terms of change focus, leaders will examine the success of past strategic initiatives and the concrete Change Management that accompanied them. is the overall strategy sound?
– Business Change and Training Manager responsibilities include Planning, coordinating and implementing an Organizational Change Management Plan?
– Have all the major Change Management issues associated with the preferred alternative been identified and discussed?
– Do you have formalized processes for organizational change management within your organization?
– Does your organization have a preferred organizational change management methodology?
– What are the most important benefits of effective organizational change management?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– Does the service providers Change Management process match the customers needs?
– Do project management and Change Management look the same for every initiative?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– What is Change Management?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Trace Configuration management failures and look at it backwards.
– If a customer complains that service levels are below those agreed in the sla, apparently due to a number of related hardware incidents, who is responsible for ensuring the cause is investigated?
– How do you keep the number of currently active codelines to a manageable set, and avoid growing the projects version tree too wide and too dense?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility configuration been identified?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Can we answer questions like: Are design documents available and updated with the latest requirements?
– Have you established document retention times in accordance with DOE 1324.2A, Records Disposition?
– How are unauthorized changes to source code prevented, detected, and corrected?
– Have you identified the types of equipment included in your CM Program?
– Can we answer questions like: What else will be affected by the change?
– Has change implementation been approved by appropriate authorities?
– Do the build instructions include all required components?
– What baselines are required to be defined and managed?
– Have specific documents been identified for each SSC?
– Do the benefits of the change warrant the costs?
– How will configuration items be identified?
– Are baselines tied to project milestones?
– Why is application sizing important?
– How to make it easier to sell?
– Does the change involve a usq?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Generalize Continuous delivery tasks and observe effective Continuous delivery.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– In a project to restructure Release and deployment management outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Release and deployment management project manager?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Release and deployment management move?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Categorize Continuous integration engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Continuous integration projects.
– What is our Release and deployment management Strategy?
– How can we improve Release and deployment management?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Continuous testing Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Continuous testing visions and test out new things.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Release and deployment management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How will you measure your Release and deployment management effectiveness?
DevOps Critical Criteria:
Mix DevOps governance and reduce DevOps costs.
– With this new, full-stack approach to software delivery comes new opportunity for delay. DevOps was developed as a reaction to the long lead times required for infrastructure provisioning and integration with bureaucracy-laden ITIL processes. But what are these new sources of delay in the software development lifecycle?
– To put your organization on the path to DevOps, you need a clear understanding of your current practices for development and operations. Do your development processes use agile or waterfall methodologies, or both?
– Does devops benefit some companies more than others and would this impact a standard definition?
– Do your development processes use agile or waterfall methodologies, or both?
– Reason on Declarative vs. Imperative Models for Patterns-when to use what?
– Top concerns that we hear from customers are How can we release on-time?
– Are there current incumbents already playing these architect roles?
– What are potential impacts and risks of skipping each phase?
– How you will measure success of your DevOps initiatives?
– How many teams are responsible for DevOps initiatives?
– What Knowledge and Skills are Most Needed For DevOps?
– Can we accelerate DevOps with Hybrid Cloud?
– What are some key principles of measurement?
– Are teams deploying code or containers?
– HOW CAN DEVOPS HELP YOUR ORGANIZATION?
– Wait, DevOps does not apply to Big Data?
– How does DevOps differ from Agile?
– Why not existing solutions?
– What is Agile Development?
– Why do you need DevOps?
DevOps toolchain Critical Criteria:
Have a session on DevOps toolchain quality and catalog DevOps toolchain activities.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Release and deployment management in a volatile global economy?
– Who needs to know about Release and deployment management ?
– Why are Release and deployment management skills important?
Enterprise release management Critical Criteria:
Face Enterprise release management tactics and adjust implementation of Enterprise release management.
– What will drive Release and deployment management change?
IT portfolio management Critical Criteria:
Give examples of IT portfolio management tactics and find the ideas you already have.
– What are all of our Release and deployment management domains and what do they do?
– Are assumptions made in Release and deployment management stated explicitly?
– Who will provide the final approval of Release and deployment management deliverables?
Software Critical Criteria:
Focus on Software failures and track iterative Software results.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Does your software provide roleand group-based security options that allow business users to securely create and publish their work?
– Does the company have equipment dependent on remote upgrades to firmware or software, or have plans to implement such systems?
– If mobile technologies are supported, how is the software optimized for use on smartphone, tables, and other mobile devices?
– How could agile approach be utilized in other parts and functions of an organization, for instance in marketing?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Where does the organization develop, test and deploy its software products and services?
– How can software be acquired, if needed, during the systems development phase?
– Do we ask in the sprint retrospective: What went well during the sprint?
– Is there an organized user group specifically for the CRM software?
– What does software development maturity really mean?
– Does your software integrate with active directory?
– What are you planning to complete today?
– Can software really inspire creativity?
– A separate test team?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software development process risks and oversee implementation of Software development process.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Release and deployment management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Release and deployment management objectives?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Look at Software engineering adoptions and attract Software engineering skills.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– How will you know that the Release and deployment management project has been successful?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– How much does Release and deployment management help?
Software release Critical Criteria:
Sort Software release management and look at it backwards.
– In the case of a Release and deployment management project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Release and deployment management project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Release and deployment management project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Does Release and deployment management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Apply Software testing leadership and stake your claim.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Release and deployment management Management?
– What are current Release and deployment management Paradigms?
Test plan Critical Criteria:
Analyze Test plan management and slay a dragon.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Release and deployment management project?
– Think of your Release and deployment management project. what are the main functions?
– Does our organization need more Release and deployment management education?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
Web application Critical Criteria:
Merge Web application governance and display thorough understanding of the Web application process.
– I keep a record of names; surnames and emails of individuals in a web application. Do these data come under the competence of GDPR? And do both the operator of the web application and I need to treat them that way?
– Are my web application portfolios and databases ready to migrate to the Windows Azure platform?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– How do you approach building a large web application?
– How to deal with Release and deployment management Changes?
– How does IT exploit a Web Application?
WinOps Critical Criteria:
Test WinOps outcomes and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive WinOps decisions.
– Is there a Release and deployment management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How likely is the current Release and deployment management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Is the Release and deployment management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Release and deployment management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Release and deployment management External links:
ITIL Release and Deployment Management – BMC Software
Agile software development External links:
RoleModel Software – Custom Agile Software Development
Agile Software Development | App Development | Softxpert
Mobile Apps, Digital Products, Agile Software Development
Application release automation External links:
Application Release Automation – CA Technologies
DeployHub – Open Source Application Release Automation
Build automation External links:
What is Build Automation / Automated Build? | Agile Alliance
Best Build Automation Software in 2017 | G2 Crowd
Change management External links:
Change Management Consulting Firm | Clerestory Consulting
MDT Software | Automation Change Management
What is change management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Configuration management External links:
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Configuration Management | IpX
Syslog Server – Network Configuration Management | Kiwi
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Delivery – CA Technologies
What is Continuous Delivery? – Continuous Delivery
GoCD – Open Source Continuous Delivery and Automation …
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous Integration How-To – developer.force.com
Continuous Integration & Deployment – Semaphore
Continuous testing External links:
[PDF]Continuous Testing Program The leader in “Remote” …
Continuous Testing – CA Technologies
DevOps External links:
The Double-Edged DevOps Job Title – DevOps.com
Is DevOps a Title? – DevOps.com
Debating the “DevOps” Job Title – DZone
DevOps toolchain External links:
UpGuard | eBook – DevOps Toolchain
Products | DevOps Toolchain | Inedo
Enterprise release management External links:
Plutora Enterprise Release Management Tool – Plutora…
COT – CIO-101 Enterprise Release Management Policy
IT portfolio management External links:
Job – IT Portfolio Management Lead by Grant Thornton
Software External links:
Insite Software | Built for B2B™
InSite SiteWork Excavation Software Overview
Software development process External links:
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Codesmith | Software Engineering & Machine Learning
Software release External links:
Dyson 360 Eye™ robot software release notes | Dyson.com
EMS Software Release FAQ
TaxAct 2017 Professional Tax Software Release Dates
Software testing External links:
PractiTest: Software Testing & QA Test Management Tools
Software Testing Certification Information – ASTQB …
Quality Assurance & Software Testing- Reston VA
Test plan External links:
[DOC]Test Plan Template – Brian Marick
Creating and Defining a Test Plan – msdn.microsoft.com
Level 3 Master Test Plan Example – DICOM Homepage
Web application External links:
Horizon Web Application
ABIMM WEB Application
ECOG-ACRIN Web Application Portal Login
WinOps External links:
[PDF]WinOPS Version 6x and higher End Of Year Procedures
WinOps | The conference dedicated to DevOps in a Windows …
WINOPS Real-Time Dredge Positioning Software – …